Friday, July 21, 2017

 

Thought of the Day



When I was young, liberals would often offer some iteration of the quote misattributed to Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This was typically in defense of artwork that was offensive to Christians or bourgeoisie types -- a soiled painting of Mary, a bad heavy metal album, whatnot.

You don't hear much of that today. You're more likely to hear "I disapprove of what you say, so shut up." Idealism isn't found in the notions of enlightenment but in identity and indignation. And if you don't believe this demand to mollycoddle every notion on the left that portends danger of freedom of expression, you haven't been paying attention.

David Harsanyi


Mr. Harsanyi and I shot sporting clays several years ago at the ATF party. Good guy.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?